The Largest Food & Beverage Importers Directory
Subscribe   |   Log In   |   Help   |  
Home > Resources > Country Profiles > Country Import Export Guide
Country Profiles
Country Import Export Guide
Useful Links
Free Newsletter  
Get TradeNews, member info and HOT Trade Leads delivered by email.

Bookmark This Page

Add to your Favorites
Create a Bookmark
Tell a friend
Hong Kong
Country Import Export Guide
Despite the retrocession of Hong-Kong to China on July 1st, 1997, the Special Administrative Region of Hong-Kong ( HKSAR) maintained its customs regulations. Therefore, the territory of Hong-Kong maintains its status of free harbour and remains separate from China's customs territory, preserving its participation in international organisations and international trade agreements.

Import licenses are required for the following products:

- Certain chemicals such as those defined in the Control of Chemicals Ordinance. The license application should be made with the Controlled Chemicals section of the Customs and Excise Department.
- Pharmaceutical products: licence should be applied for at the Trade licensing Branch Non-Textiles Licensing Section of the Trade Department.
- Living animals: a preliminary licence should be applied for at the Licensing Unit of agriculture, Fisheries and conservation Department.
- Plants are also subject to a licence issued by the Plant and pesticides Regulatory Division of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.
- Textiles: if they are not registered with the Textile Traders Registration Scheme, importers should apply for a licence with the Non-Restrained Textiles, Trade Department.
- " Reserved Commodities " (rice, frozen meat, frozen poultry): import licences issued by the Reserved Commodities Unit of Trade Department, are given only to companies registered with the Trade Department. Moreover, the imported goods should be accompanied with a sanitary certificate issued by the country of origin.
- Meat and poultry: import has to be authorised by the Hygiene Section of the Department of Health.
- Radio equipment is also subject to the control of the Inspection and Licensing Subsection of the Office of the Telecommunications Authority.
- Import of vehicles.
- Alcohol drinks.
- Tobacco.
- Oil productions.

Licenses for these 4 categories are issued by the Customs and Excise Department.

To work with an agent or an importer is advisable when the exporter does not fully know the local environment. The foreign exporter should expect to find in Hong-Kong a highly competitive market with the presence of very active European, Asian and American companies. The Hong-Kong business world is open minded about new ideas but the success in this market mainly depends on the quality of efficiently made products and having competitive prices. It is strongly recommended to be present on Trade shows and fairs which are held regularly in Hong-Kong.

The Information Desk on the Normalisation of Products is dependant on the Department of Industry which covers and offers information to manufacturers concerning national and international standards. The System of Laboratories Accredited by Hong-Kong ( HOKLAS), depends also on the Department of Industry. They provide technical information on toys, textile, electronic and electric products, foodstuffs, building materials, etc.
The commonly used standards are ISO 9000 standards, especially for engineering and building sectors. Hong-Kong adheres to the Standards Code with the WTO. {ISO 9000}"
Contact Us   |   About Us  |  Term and Conditions  |  Privacy Policy  |  Advertise with Us  |   Importers Registration (Free)
Feedback  |  Bookmark This Page |  Tell a Friend  |  RSS / XML Feeds